Re: Issue #68: VPNs with overlapping IP address ranges (was Re: 2401bis issues (possible) resolution)

Tero,

Regarding your point that SG should not trust the VPN-ID as received: this is for sure ;-)

But, the VPN-ID can be used during the IKE_SA_INIT exchange in order for the SG to:
- check whether to continue the IKE exchange (i.e. custA has a contract for max 10 'tunnels')
- see what kind of security parameters to use (i.e. custA can enforce AES-256 for IKE or use only certs from this CA)
- ...

Then, during IKE_AUTH exchange, the SG will check whether the ID (as proven by the authentication) does indeed match the VPN-ID.

On a side note: the VPN-ID as exchanged during IKE_SA_INIT could potentially be different to the one used by the PPVPN on 'the other side' of the SG.

On another side note, the use of VPN-ID will be dictated most probably by an ISP/MSSP while the actual IKE ID will be selected by the customer. I'm afraid that forcing both parties to agree to a common naming for the ID (assuming that VPN-ID is rejected) will be a real pain in the real world...

Hope it helps

Just my 0.01 EUR

-eric