RE: SPD issues

See my comments below.

Bear in mind that it doesn't really matter if there is only one SPD.
Because even a single SPD can have multiple policies for outbound
red datagrams that match the source address of a particular sender,
and provide different levels of security (perhaps none at all) depending
on the destination address.

So it isn't really a no-op just because there is only one SPD.

Believe me, I'm in favor of keeping the RFC as simple as possible, and
ideally would like to see forwarding and IPSec SPD lookup divorced from
one another.  But it isn't yet clear that truly solid security can be
provided that way.

Its all got me wondering if there really is a fool-proof solution to
this problem other than specifying that the level of protection afforded
to any given outbound datagram should be based solely on the source
of the datagram, and not on the destination.  In other words, in the real
world if I am transmitting sensitive information then effectivly all
networks are untrusted.

But if we want to continue with the notion that some networks are trusted
more
than others, then perhaps (and I recognize that it would be fairly radical
change) the correct model for IPSec is that there MUST be an outbound SPD
per-interface (becaues we view security as inherently being tied to the
trustworthiness of different interfaces) and that the security afforded
a datagram is based strictly on the source of the datagram and the interface
that it exits, rather than the source and the destination addresses.

Because I think the issue we're dancing around here is that while I might
think its OK to send a red datagram to a given destination with possibly
no protection at all, I only belive that because I believe that the
destintation
is connected to some trusted network where security isn't needed.
Otherwise,
I'd be pretty crazy to do it.  But this ignores the fact that due to routing
errors or misconfiguration, or a bad implementation, the datagram might
actually
escape onto a network I don't trust.  This doesn't have to be the public
internet.
It might just be, for example, that a datagram from accounting to HR
gets misrouted into an engineering lab where it is captured by some
engineer's packet
sniffer and he sees that the big layoff is coming.  Gee, wonder why I
thought of
that example.  Must be the times. :(