Re: Meta-comment: use of "red" / "black" terminology...

I prefer the PT/CT terminology and I believe there are ambiguity issues
with using either 'Red'/'Black' or 'unprotected'/'protected.'

Even within the DoD community, I find the use of terms 'Red' and
'Black' confusing, or even inaccurate, for many network configurations.
  For example, if a user wishes to use a gateway to tunnel 'unsenstive'
information through a 'sensitive' network, the encapsulated ciphertext
appears at the 'Red'  interface of the gateway, not the 'Black'
interface.  Another example where these terms are confusing is when a
user nests multiple gateways.   This leads to situations where the
'Red' interface of a gateway may exchange packets with the 'Black'
interface of a gateway in an interior layer.  (I believe the terms
'protected' and 'unprotected' suffer from the same ambiguity.)

This second example raises another interesting notation issue.  If
there is only a single PT/CT boundary in a system then it makes sense
to refer to the 'PT network'  and the 'CT network.'   However, with
gateway nesting,  we may have multiple PT/CT boundaries in a system.
What naming system should we use to describe the various networks in
such a configuration?

-Sean O'Keeffe