Re: TFC in IKEv1

At 18:47 -0800 1/7/04, vamsi wrote:
>Hi,
>TFC padding in  the ESPv3 draft states that the SA management
>protocol must negotiate the TFC service prior to employing the
>service.
>  Is there any draft  explaining how TFC attribute can be negotiated
>as part of IKE v1 exchanges?
>Can any one Please share the information how to use TFC (Traffic
>Flow confidentiality)  in IKEv1?
>

>regards
>    vamsi

There is no provision to negotiate this facility in IKEv1, as you
have noticed. Since the extensions for TFC are in ESPv2, and since we
anticipate folks who use ESPv2 will also use IKEv2, we have not made
plans to create a DOI for IKEv1 that defines a suitable extension.
However, note that one probably could use the ESP TFC conventions
safely even without negotiation, in many cases.

Steve