Why is the length of transform ID 2 octets in IKEv2?

Hi,

The length of the transform ID is 2 octets  in IKEv2 (was 2 octets in
00, changed to 1 octet in 01, and back to 2 octets in 08 and stayed that
way) whereas it is 1 octet in 2408.  I am curious about the reasoning
behind the change(s).  Do we really need 2 octets for this field?

regards,
Lakshminath