SPD name entries & IKE

Folks,

In revising 2401 we tried to more clearly describe how the SPD works,
as well as expanding it to cover new selector types, i.e., mobility
header and ICMP type & code values.

In the course of this work we encountered a problem with the use of
symbolic names. The primary motivation for accommodating a symbolic
name in an SPD entry is to allow for an incoming SA creation request
for a user or machine for which no fixed Ip address is known a
priori. Other possible uses noted in 2401 included providing
fine-grained access control for individual users/processes on a
multi-user system. However, this latter case seems to be not a
significant requirement based on existing practice, right?

In the primary case, the symbolic name in an SPD entry is a
placeholder to be replaced with the IP address associated with the
IKE peer, when the peer is authenticated as an authorized
representative for the name. For example, a road warrior might be
authenticated using a cert. In that case, the PAD (a newly
articulated construct in 2401bis) would indicate that the CA who
issued the cert is authorized to issue credentials to all employees
(or maybe just to road warriors). Thus the ID asserted by IKE would
be verified as acceptable, relative to the CA, and the PAD indicates
how the ID asserted by IKE is verified, e.g., is it matched to the
cert Subject name, or simply accepted because the cert itself has
been validated?

However, even with the introduction of the PAD, we still have a
problem in this case. Specifically, how do we know that, for a
specific SA establishment activity, we should perform an SPD lookup
using the ID from IKE in the SPD as a substitute for the source IP
address for inbound traffic, instead of using the the address that
appears in the traffic selector payloads?  We need to use the latter
address when we instantiate the SPD cache and SAD entries, but we
need to use the name for the initial SPD lookup.

What we discovered, in talking with several folks, is that there
appears to be no standard way for the IKE initiator to signal to a
responder that the ID is to be used for the lookup, vs. the selector
payloads.  To me, this suggests that we need yet one more minor
modification to IKE to accommodate this case. \

Suggestions?

Steve