Re: Issue #88: Lift the prohibition on red-side fragmentation bySG, BITS, BITW

Hi Ted,

How about if we put the text below in the outbound processing section
at the end of section "5.1 Outbound IP Traffic Processing
(protected-to-unprotected)" before the section "5.1.1  Handling an
Outbound Packet That Must Be Dropped"?

>While reviewing draft-ietf-ipsec-rfc2401bis-01.txt, it appears that
>the text that was inserted for issue #88:
>
>      An SG, BITS, or BITW implementation MAY fragment packets before
>      applying IPsec.  The device SHOULD have a configuration setting
>      to disable this.  The resulting fragments are evaluated against
>      the SPD in the normal manner.  Thus, fragments not containing port
>      numbers may only match rules having port selectors of "opaque" or
>      "wildcard".
>
>was inserted in section 6.
>
>6. ICMP Processing [This section will be filled in when IPsec issue # 91
>    is resolved. The following text needs to be inserted somewhere,
>    possibly this section.]
>
>This was probably not the right place, since the fragmentation issue
>really isn't related to ICMP processing, strictly speaking.
>
>Comments?

Thanks for the feedback,
Karen