Re: Some IKEv2 issues

Charles Lynn writes:
> >	2) Say how OPAQUE is encoded (start = max, end = min ???)
>
> > in point 2, I think it should be start = min, end = max, not other
> > way around
>
> start = min, end = max is the encoding for ANY.  OPAQUE and ANY are
> not the same.  OPAQUE means the value of a field cannot be determined,
> either because the protocol does not have it, or it is hidden by
> encryption or fragmentation.

From the responder side of view, what is the actual implemenation
difference between OPAQUE and ANY? I think they will be processed
identically in the implementations. There are semantic differences in
some cases, but I do not think that any implementations actually need
to know the difference on the packet processing level, thus I think we
should simply have one format of expressing that instead of having
special case for OPAQUE.

The IKEv2 draft does not make difference between any and opaque, and I
think that is fine.
--
kivinen@safenet-inc.com