Re: Issue #83: Generation of ICMP responses for inbound packet requiring IPSEC protection

At 0:02 +0200 2/21/04, Tero Kivinen wrote:
>Stephen Kent writes:
>>  >This kind of setup can be used for normal web-traffic etc, where you
>>  >actually do not normally need to create IPsec SAs, but if you happen
>>  >to have SA up, you can use it (it does not cause any harm either).
>>
>>  it makes behavior non-deterministic, which is generally a bad thing
>>  from a security perspective.
>
>In those cases the encryption is not for the real security, but simply
>encryption just because it is fun, and it will cause more traffic in
>the net to be encrypted, making large scale traffic analysis harder.

this is a commonly cited notion, but there are analysis techniques
that show that the notion is not valid in most cases :-)

>  > >Might be true, but there are implemenations which support this kind of
>>  >operations.
>>
>>  Then they are non-complaint.
>
>Does the RFC2401 really say, that you cannot expand the SPD at all,
>and all implementations MUST only support what is defined there. I
>thought that it specified mostly the minimum requirements not exact
>requirements what can and cannot be implemented (i.e. I would not call
>those extended versions non-complaint, I would call them IPsec +
>extensions versions :-).

we agree that 2401 specifies a minimum access control capability, but
we may disagree about whether a non-deterministic SPD function
represents an enhancement or a regression :-)

Steve