Re: Traffic selectors, fragments, ICMP messages and security policy problems

Firewalls have their place, but often administrators like to allow all
decrypted traffic in, believing that because it was encrypted, it is
more secure.

A very common policy, especially when the firewall and VPN are
collocated is something like this:
- Allow HTTP and HTTPS to web server + outgoing
- Allow SMTP to SMTP server
- Allow all VPN traffic
- Block everything else

When they're not collocated, you put the firewall closer to the
Internet than the VPN, because it can filter all those gigabits.  Such
a firewall can't know what's in the VPN.

This makes sense because VPN traffic is considered "internal" and
therefore can be anything.  We want someone in the Paris office to be
able to access all the network resources as if she were in the main
office.  Of course, now we know better, and would not like to encrypt
the attacks that the worm that infected her computer is sending out.

This is why VPN has to have its own access control regardless of the
firewall.  A case could be made for a pure VPN with no port selectors,
collocated with a dedicated firewall, and that works as long as both
ends are managed by the same administrator.  If, however, your policy
is to block NFS, it's a shame that the other side would keep encrypting
and your side would keep decrypting.