Re: SPD Cache in 2401bis

At 10:09 PM +0900 3/6/04, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
>  > >Is it possible to remove all the discussion on SPD-cache out of
>>  >RFC2401bis and into an informational RFC?
>>  no.
>
>	i think 2401bis is talking about implementation details too much.
>	i agree with bora that SPD-cache issues should be a separate document.
>	there could be multiple ways we can implement SPD lookup portion
>	(and we should be allowed to implement in various ways), for instance.
>	SPD lookup portion won't impact interoperability.  wire format part
>	will.
>
>	therefore, i believe 2401bis should be spiltted into two document:
>	- a document which concentrate onto the on-wire protocol only
>	  (mostly references to ESPv3 and AHv2)
>	- a document which concentrate onto implementation specifics
>	  (how SPD lookup has to be done, how it should be cached, tunnel mode
>	  and transport mode)
>
>itojun

I appreciate the suggestion that 2401/2401bis has more detail than
some folks would like. However, a protocol spec is not just a matter
of the bits on the wire format; it also includes a model (e.g., a
state machine) for how one processes outbound and inbound traffic for
the protocol. Thus it is essential that 2401bis include such a model.
On that basis I have to disagree with your suggestion on
restructuring.

Steve