Re: Traffic selectors, fragments, ICMP messages and security policy problems

 Stephen> At 3:40 PM +0200 3/14/04, Markku Savela wrote:
 >> Before going into details, just to restate my view of how dealing
 >> with fragments should be stated in the RFC:
 >>
 >> 1. The IPSEC that is applied to all fragments must be exactly the
 >> same that would be applied to the same packet when fully
 >> assembled.

 Stephen> I agree that this would be ideal, but it would not be awful,
 Stephen> from a communication security perspective, if we applied
 Stephen> "better" protection to fragments.

True from a comsec point of view.  Not necessarily true from a legal
compliance point of view, if you're subject to regulations that
restrict the use of certain algorithms for certain traffic.  I believe
Tero made that point some time ago.

     paul