RE: Remaining open issues for RFC-2401bis

 Paul> At 3:36 PM -0500 3/20/04, Paul Koning wrote:
 >> If something is supposed to be human-interpreted text then there's
 >> only one answer, namely UTF-8.

 Paul> But IKEv2 doesn't say it is text. The exact words from the
 Paul> IKEv2 draft are: An opaque octet stream which may be used to
 Paul> pass an account name or to pass vendor-specific information
 Paul> necessary to do certain proprietary types of identification.
 Paul> "Octet stream" means "octet stream", not text. If we mean
 Paul> "text", we should say "text" and give the one text encoding
 Paul> that all implementations must use; obviously, that would be
 Paul> UTF-8.  "Vendor-specific information" might not be text.

Agreed.  And an "octet string" field will of course serve nicely as a
container for UTF-8 if a particular vendor wants to put text there.

	  paul