Re: Remaining open issues for RFC-2401bis

At 4:52 PM -0500 3/23/04, Michael Richardson wrote:
>   1) we have ways of encoding UTF-8 into From:/To: lines, we could
>      use that.

No, we don't. We have ways of encoding the display name and the
coments, but *not* the address itself (called the "addr-spec"). RFC
822 and 2822 are completely clear on this.

>   2) we could agree to permit UTF-8 in RFC822_ADDR.

Doing so and hoping that the Applications Area Directors don't barf
is like applications folks saying "we can just send cleartext
passwords in the clear here" and hoping that the Security Area
Directors don't barf.

It is reasonable to have one plain text or an opaque binary
identifier. There is no need to mess up one of the few clear
identifiers we have.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium