Re: Remaining open issues for RFC-2401bis

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 11:15:47PM -0500, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> > 	Well, if we allow this to be any octet string,
> > 	then it presents complications for the user/management
> > 	interface.  So we'd like to limit it to a text string
> > 	containing alphanumeric characters, but not a binary
> > 	string, etc.
>
> current best practice for ietf protocols is that strings which are
> intended for human display in protocols should come with language
> tags.  (why do I know?  sshv2 bit this bullet a while ago...).  see
> rfc3066

Nit: UTF-8 has language tags also which can do when RFC3066 language
tags are not available.

But this is besides the point, my point that is, which I just made in
separate posts, and which is that secure shell proves that access
control by IDs that are fairly meaningless to users can be done and is
done everyday, and by many.  As to the I18N issues with the other ID
types, well, shoving UTF-8 into ID_KEY_ID hardly seems like a way to
address them (besides, saying "use UTF-8" is only the beginning, then
come string prep profiles and all that other fun).

Cheers,

Nico