Re: Remaining open issues for RFC-2401bis

At 2:37 PM -0600 3/24/04, Nicolas Williams wrote: >On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 11:05:20AM -0800, Charlie Kaufman wrote: >> We could add yet another ID Type option for UTF-8 string, but does >> anyone actually have a use for it? > >When the rfc822 subjectAltName is internationalized then the >corresponding ID should be also by extension (one hopes). If the matter >is addressed by adding additional cert extensions or by adding to the >general name CHOICE (why is it not marked extensible?) then we may need >a new ID type to go with it. > >Nico >-- Nico, GN is already extensible: GeneralName ::= CHOICE { otherName [0] OtherName, rfc822Name [1] IA5String, dNSName [2] IA5String, x400Address [3] ORAddress, directoryName [4] Name, ediPartyName [5] EDIPartyName, uniformResourceIdentifier [6] IA5String, iPAddress [7] OCTET STRING, registeredID [8] OBJECT IDENTIFIER } OtherName ::= SEQUENCE { type-id OBJECT IDENTIFIER, value [0] EXPLICIT ANY DEFINED BY type-id } otherName and registeredID provide all the extensibility you could ever want in terms of creating additional ID types. Steve