Re: 2nd try

 >> Reassembly or reassmebly-like state tracking is not simple,
 >> although

 Tero> It is not that complicated either. Full reassembly code in the
 Tero> netbsd kernel is about 200 lines (not counting code for general
 Tero> queue macros etc), our partial and full reassembly code is
 Tero> about 1000 lines (it does quite a lot more than only partial
 Tero> reassembly).

Reassembly isn't all that hard in software, although it gets more
complicated if you really care about performance when there are a
large number of simultaneous streams.  But reassembly in hardware is
quite another matter.

While I'm no great fan of option #2, I feel that requiring it is a
better choice than requiring reassembly (option #3).

       paul