Re: [Ipsec] Re: IKEv2 AUTH payload

Some methods may, and the EAP-success message has optional text which
could be something like "User authenticated for 7200 seconds".  But
neither is generic enough.  The difference between re-keying and
re-authentication is not nuanced, as re-keying can be initiated by either
side, while re-authentication can only be initiated by the user.  OTOH it
is the server (or gateway) that will have a policy about re-authenticating
clients.  Unless the gateway passes the information to the client somehow,
then there's no way that the client can authenticate in time.

Certificates don't have the same problem.  Certificates contain their
expiration time.  If a gateway is presented with a certificate that
expires in 5 minutes, it can set a timer to close the IKE SA in 5 minutes.
 Also, the client also knows about the expiration time, so it can know
when to re-authenticate and present a new certificate.  This is not
available when re-authentication is just a matter of policy.

Re-authentication is a requirement for many users.  If vendors can't
provide it as part of IKE, they will have to do so through other channels,
either a private notification or some kind of internal connection.  These
will be neither standard nor interoperable, and it would mean that when
using, say, a Microsoft client with a Cisco access concentrator, the
connection would break after some time.

In bakeoffs everything would be fine, because everyone would set the
re-authentication time to the maximum possible and there won't be any
disconnects.  In the field, these things will happen.