Re: [Ipsec] Re: 2401bis -- Issue 91 -- handling ICMP error messages

At 6:08 PM -0400 5/10/04, Mark Duffy wrote:
>Hi Steve,
>
>I do not question that the checks on the icmp payload packet would
>provide an added measure of security -- I agree that they would.
>
>However I would like to understand where we are drawing the line
>about what an  "IPsec implementation" should check.  Should it check
>for invalid combinations of control bits in a tcp header (e.g. SYN
>and FIN)?  Or for packets with src addr == dest addr?   Etc.
>
>Is there something fundamentally different about checking the
>payload of an ICMP packet that is sent on an SA negotiated for
>protocol=icmp than there is about doing the other checks I mentioned?
>
>--Mark

yes, Mark, there is. A single ICMP error message can disable all
communication from the host that receives it to anther host or net,
something a set of bad TCP control flags cannot do.

Steve

P.S. a reasonable SPD WOULD catch your source addrs = dest addr
example in most cases since, to be delivered, the dest address would
have to be behind the SG and that would not be a valid source address
to traffic.