Re: [Ipsec] STRAW POLL: Handling of fragments in RFC-2401bis (section7)

Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> QUESTION 1:  Select one of the following
>
>    ____ Both Methods #2 and Method #3 should be a MAY
>
>    ____ One or both of Methods #2 and #3 should be a SHOULD or a MUST
>
> 	   ___ Method #2 (non-initial fragments get sent to an OPAQUE
> 		SA) should be be SHOULD or MUST
>
> 	   ___ Method #3 (stateful fragment inspection) should be
> 		SHOULD or MUST)
>
> 	   ___ Both Method #2 and #3 should be SHOULD or MUST

For implementations supporting port/protocol SA differentials, Method #3
should be a SHOULD or MUST.

> QUESTION 2:  Should Method #2 (non-initial fragments) be:
>
> 	(you may pick more than one)
>
> 	___ MUST
>
> 	___ SHOULD
>
> 	___ MAY

NONE of the above - why even mention this? I doubt there are many 100%
compliant implementations for the first round of ipsec, and find it
highly unlikely that this will change. Implementations that don't care
about fragment security probably don't care about port/protocol
differentiation. The two seem incompatible and unlikely. I can't believe
we've wasted so much time/energy on this.

> QUESTION 3:  Should Method #3 (stateful fragment inspection) be:
>
> 	(you may pick more than one)
>
> 	___ MUST
>
> 	___ SHOULD
>
> 	___ MAY