Re: [Ipsec] STRAW POLL: Handling of fragments in RFC-2401bis (section7)

Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> QUESTION 1:  Select one of the following
>
>    ____ Both Methods #2 and Method #3 should be a MAY
>
>    ____ One or both of Methods #2 and #3 should be a SHOULD or a MUST
>
> 	   ___ Method #2 (non-initial fragments get sent to an OPAQUE
> 		SA) should be be SHOULD or MUST
>
> 	   ___ Method #3 (stateful fragment inspection) should be
> 		SHOULD or MUST)
>
> 	   ___ Both Method #2 and #3 should be SHOULD or MUST

It makes sense to mix non-initial fragments where the initial frags are
mixed (Method #1).

It makes no security sense to mix some non-initial traffic where the
initial fragments are not so mixed.

I would consider Method 2 a MUST NOT in that regard.

If I have to vote for one of the above, then:

__X__ Both Methods #2 and Method #3 should be a MAY

> QUESTION 2:  Should Method #2 (non-initial fragments) be:
>
> 	(you may pick more than one)
>
> 	___ MUST
>
> 	___ SHOULD
>
> 	___ MAY

Again, I would go MUST NOT. At best, if I have to pick from above,

__X__ MAY

> QUESTION 3:  Should Method #3 (stateful fragment inspection) be:
>
> 	(you may pick more than one)
>
> 	___ MUST
>
> 	___ SHOULD
>
> 	___ MAY