Re: [Ipsec] Results of the Straw Poll re: Fragmentation handling

Scott G. Kelly wrote:

> Hi Ted,
>
> I'm a little surprised at your assessment of my position on question
> #2, so I think I must have been unclear.  Here's your summary:
>
>> Scott G. Kelly
>
>  > 1.  SHOULD/MUST (for 3 only)
>  > 2.  MUST NOT
>  > 3.  SHOULD
>
> Here's what I said for #2:
>
>> NONE of the above - why even mention this? I doubt there are many
>> 100% compliant implementations for the first round of ipsec, and find
>> it highly unlikely that this will change. Implementations that don't
>> care about fragment security probably don't care about port/protocol
>> differentiation. The two seem incompatible and unlikely. I can't
>> believe we've wasted so much time/energy on this.
>

> I'm sorry that this was unclear. What I meant to say was, why even
> mention this in the draft at all - why make it an option?

I agree - even mentioning it just confuses things. There are no other
cases where packets from a single SPI entering on a single interface
with the same addresses and ports are handled by different SPD entries.

I can't imagine why anyone would think separating the two would be a
good thing, and if the policies are different, a dangerous thing.

> That's not a clear selection of one of the terms you asked for, but it's
> definitely not a MUST NOT. I guess I should have used the RFC2119
> language, in which case I might say "SHOULD NOT", meaning someone that
> really knows what they are doing might have justification, but this
> should not be casually undertaken. I think the current draft rev gives
> cautions for ipv6, but we might want similar cautions for ipv4.

Anyone who wants to violate a spec can do so at their own peril. The
MUST NOT would be to suggest this is a dangerous thing, with otherwise
uncontrolled consequences. IMO, if it's mentioned at all, it is
definitely MUST NOT.

Joe