Re: [Ipsec] spam

Yoav Nir <ynir@netvision.net.il> writes:
> Anyway, as has been pointed out before, the letters mostly seem to
> originate from legitimate subscribers.  The emails and names can
> easily be harvested from web archives and other methods.  Since SMTP
> is basically insecure, anyone can pretend to be a list member and send
> this stuff to the list.

However, those of us who run mailing lists find that although anyone
"can" forge a list member's address, it is almost unheard of that it
actually happens. Restricting my lists to subscribers only has
eliminated 100% of the spam going to them.

As for the problem of people who would like to post from an address
other than the one they subscribe from, as I've noted, mailman, which
is already used to manage this list, can handle that trivially, so this
isn't a problem, either.

I'm a subscriber to several hundred mailing lists (yes, really) and
all but a handful of them restrict posting to subscribers.

Perry