Re: [Ipsec] IPsec for printers?

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, =?iso-8859-1?q?Chang=20Hu=20Foo?= wrote:
> I have searched through google and it seems that there
> is no IPsec support print jobs transmitted between
> file and print servers and printers. Is that true?

IPsec is a general-purpose protocol and there's no need for special
support in it for particular applications.  It would work perfectly well
for protecting transmissions to printers.  This would require that the
printer *implement* IPsec as part of its IP implementation, of course.

One way to protect transmissions to a non-IPsec-aware printer is to put
Linux (or OpenBSD, etc.) on an old PC (e.g., one that a Microsoft user is
discarding because it's too small and slow to run the latest Windows) and
connect the printer to it, so the printer itself is no longer on a public
network.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net