Re: [Ipsec] OT: Basic questions on IPSec SAs/tunnel/ESP & AH auth

> 1. My understanding is that an IPSec *tunnel* is made up of two
> (undirectional) IPSec SAs. Am I correct?  (there seems some ambiguity on
> this point especially in some IPSec related books).

This seems to be semi-common usage but strikes me as sloppy.

IPsec SA's are unidirectional; each direction requires one or more
SA's to protect it.

The way I look at it:

 - A tunnel is an artifact of policy.

 - SA's should have a limited lifetime (for numerous cryptographic
   reasons) and therefore should be thought of as ephemeral,

 - the policy which caused the SA's to be created is persistant.

SA's can also directly protect application traffic without the
introduction of a new IP header (transport mode).

> 2. I know that in IKEv1 is not possible to negotiate IPSec SAs with
> identical traffic selectors, but in IKEv2 I see that it is possible. So, if
> I understand this correctly you could therefore have more that one tunnel
> (pair of unidrectional IPSec SAs) between two peers in an IPSec VPN (one
> tunnel for each seperate QoS [to prevent possible replay protection traffic
> drops], for example). Is this correct?

Under 2401bis, the sender may have more than SA's to choose from; this
may be presented in administrative interfaces as as multiple tunnels
or as single tunnel.

> 3. Obviously authentication can be provided by both AH and ESP. I notice
> that on some vendors' equipment it is possible to configure *both* AH and
> ESP auth for a single (pair of) IPSec SAs (1 ipsec tunnel). I have 2
> questions about this:
>
> a. this seems to permissable in the IPSec RFCs/drafts that I have read. Am I
> correct?

Yes.

> b. BUT, there seems absolutely no *practical* point in having both AH and
> ESP auth for 1 IPSec tunnel. Am I correct on this point?

Yes.  It's pointless in practice, and leads to needless confusion.

						- Bill