Re: [Ipsec] Last Call: 'Cryptographic Algorithm ImplementationRequirements For ESP And AH' to Proposed Standard

Draft draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-ah-algorithms-01.txt
specifies HMAC-MD5 as MAY (in the list of authentication algorithms).

Given that 8 years after the invention of HMAC and 8 years after
Dobbertin's attacks on MD5 there is no single piece of evidence (big or
small) against the use of HMAC-MD5, and given that HMAC-MD5 is close to
twice the speed of HMAC-SHA1, then I suggest to upgrade HMAC-MD5 to SHOULD
(it is good to make it available for applications that need the speed,
especially in authentication-only configurations (are there any?)

Just a suggestion. Feel free to ignore.

Hugo