Re: [Ipsec] comment on "empty message" in IKEv2 draft

Francis Dupont writes:
> => A nonce payload should have the same result, quoting the IKEv2 draft:

Nope.

>    The Nonce Payload ... contains random data used to guarantee liveness
>    during an exchange and protect against replay attacks.

Nonce are always generated by the sender, and it is random nonce,
which is used during the auth process. It is not replied back in any
of the exchages, so it would not really guarantee liveness in this
case.

>    I don't know what is better, COOKIE notifications or nonces. The only
>    visible difference is the length (1-64 for cookies, 16-256 for nonces)
>    but this is not enough to choose. Same about the stateless property
>    of cookies, here we have an IKE SA so already some state...
>    What do readers of this mailing-list prefer? In any case we'll get
>    this mechanism in MOBIKE.

COOKIE is the only option, nonce is not an option, as it is not sent back.
--
kivinen@safenet-inc.com