-----Original Message-----
From: David Engberg
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 5:02 AM

. . .

b) Specify responders by name or key hash instead of cert hash
. . .

The lifecycle for a responder certificate could be much more dynamic
[than a root CA cert].
Responder certs don't have any way to do "rollover" to a new cert with
implicit trust for existing clients.  This means that any change to the
responder cert requires a local change on every peer device.

c) Permit "delegated" responders (OCSPSigning) without explicit trust at
the relying party

[By that I mean] it would be useful to allow the "service" side to send
an OCSPResponse along with a delegated/chained responder cert that isn't
explicitly known to the "client" before the transaction starts. . . .
This permits the greatest flexibility in the responder
management without introducing another hard-coded trust point in every
client.