Re: [Ipsec] big IKE packets

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> writes:

 Paul> If we're not satisfied with how IP does fragmentation, wouldn't
 Paul> it be more reasonable to use TCP -- which handles large packets
 Paul> the right way?

 Michael> There are two problems with how IP does fragmentation, and
 Michael> they aren't about IP itself.  1) fragments are hard for
 Michael> firewalls to filter, so they get lost.  2) fragment
 Michael> reassembly under fragment DOS is often not very fruitful.

 Michael> (And then there is the IPv6 situation. IPv6 just tells you
 Michael> to do go the right PMTU yourself, or fragment yourself. This
 Michael> method can get us the PMTU)

True.

 Paul> I dislike inventing new protocols to address previously solved
 Paul> problems.

 Michael> We could have an option to run over TCP.  But, consider if
 Michael> one is doing IPsec in the first place to protect TCP
 Michael> management sessions. Ooops.

So?  That's no more an issue than it is for UDP.  A TCP IKE session
would not go through IPsec, just like port 500 UDPgrams don't use
IPsec.

       paul