Re: [Ipsec] big IKE packets

>   There are two problems with how IP does fragmentation, and they aren't
> about IP itself.
>       1) fragments are hard for firewalls to filter, so they get lost.

Can't modern firewalls tag the initial segment's ID, and let matching IDs
through?  I know there's packet reordering and implementations that send the
last fragment first, but the former is relatively rare, and the latter can be
fixed.

>   (And then there is the IPv6 situation. IPv6 just tells you to do go
> the right PMTU yourself, or fragment yourself. This method can get us
> the PMTU)

And IPv4 can be configured to act just like IPv6 in this regard.  Our IP, for
example, sets the DF bit by default on outbound packets.

>     Paul> I dislike inventing new protocols to address previously solved
>     Paul> problems.

I agree with Paul 100%.  Let's not reinvent the wheel more than we have to in
IKEv2.

Dan