dam-l introduction

Hello all.  Thought I might send out an introduction and possibly a few
points that might stimulate discussion.

I'm a fish biologist currently involved with impact assessment of hydro
projects with the BC Ministry of Environment in Nelson, BC, Canada.
Previously I have worked with BC Hydro on a variety of issues related to
reservoir and flow regulation impacts.  I also did my masters research
in Malaysia with tinfoil barb (Puntius schwanenfeldii), which touched
upon the impacts of flow regulation on reproductive seasonality.

Current issues I am dealing with include total gas pressure,
entrainment, water temperature impacts, downstream impacts of flow
fluctuations.

My more general scientific interests are in the relationship between
environmental conditions in streams and rivers and fish ecology,
particularly reproduction. My work in Malaysia suggests that flow
regulation caused a shift toward aseasonal spawning in comparison with
unregulated rivers.  In my current work I address white sturgeon, which
are endangered in this area, and whose recruitment is limited or
eliminated by flow regulation.

A suggested topic of discussion for the group is the potential
differences in impacts between temperate and tropical systems.    Do
others have comments on the similarities/differences that flow
regulation might have in these two types of systems (I agree this is
rather a gross comparison).   One of my thoughts is that impacts to fish
may be even greater in tropical systems since the flood cycle is
apparently a more predominant seasonal cue, as opposed to photoperiod
and temperature which are more common season environmental cues in
temperate species.  Any comments on this suggestion?  Would the same
broad generalization hold for plants and/or other aquatic species?   I
think this is an important point, since it may imply that biological
knowledge about river regulation impacts is much less transferable that
technological knowledge, and applications of mitigative technologies
which often seem to be developed in north temperate countries, may have
a very limited applicability in tropical areas.

Looking forward to further discussion of this and other topics.

Steve McAdam
smcadam@nelson.env.gov.bc.ca