dam-l DFO's muzzling

Dianne,

Surprised that in your discussion of DFO muzzling you didn't mention the
time a few years ago when DFO prevented John Rudd from speaking on his work
(in New York, I think?) ...

Phil

At 14:03 97-08-06 -0400, Dianne Murray wrote:
>I don't know if anyone here has seen my article concerning
>DFO's muzzling of scientists and DFO bureaucrats Scott Parson's
>and Bill Doubleday's threats to sue both the Ottawa Citizen
>and Killam Chair scientists Ransome Myers over publishing
>information on the muzzling.  it is linked to the DRIIA webpage.
>
>http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/dams
>
>and point to the item entitled
>Muzzled Scientists...
>
>There is a link near the end to the final Citizen articloe in the set
>by Charles Enman.
>
>Today,  the Citizen published the following article on
>DFO's disciplinary manual.  I am forwarding it for private use
>to dam-l members.
>
>It certainly explains why we at DRWG had such dificulty getting
>anyone from DFO's Central and Arctic region to talk to
>the public and MP's several years ago here in Ottawa about
>their research reported in the Can. J. Fish Aquatic Science Vol 41,
>1984 [!]
>
>Parsons and Doubleday are paid unelected Canadian civil servants.  With one
>hell of a lot of hubris and nerve.
>
>In my opinion they deserve to be fired and their pensions revoked and
>placed into a fund to restore the salmon and cod fisheries and to
>compensate all the fishermen who are now out of work.  Never mind the
>scientists who've been forced into early retirtement by their draconian
>Big Brother policies.
>
>I keep getting visions of class actions suits.  I think I even
>know which act they may be liable under and it very well could be actionable.
>;-]
>
>They sure don't deserve the trust of the Canadian public and fishermen.
>
>I mean - is it any wonder we have a fish war goimg down with the States
>with these kind of bellicose incokpetant pompous control freaks and
>policeman wannabes in a position of responsibility and power?  They don't
>deserve their jobs. Period.

Philip Raphals
Directeur adjoint (Associate Director)
Le Centre Hélios - Stratégies énergétiques et environnementales
Helios Centre for Sustainable Energy Strategies
651, rue Querbes
Outremont (Quebec)
Canada
H2V 3W6