Re: dam-l About mercury removal and environment (fwd)

Hi Don:

Well, I had a chat with Michael Richardson,
who runs the system here and has Mosaic.
He says the site is partly at fault here.
I do find that that is a big problem, at many sites.

Part of the reason the Dam-Reservoir Impact Info Archive is predominantly
text and avoids frame-based stuff is that those who don't have all
the bells and whistles [this is especially important for the poor and
for people in developing countries] *can* access the site.  Many many
people who are just getting on around the world are doing so through
old XT's and 286's and so forth.  You really need don't need a Pentium
to get things done unless you're either an eye candy addict OR you
actually need to see graphics [there are times!] or there is some
need to access WAV files [Graphics and audio are major memory hogs].

I wish more sites would take this into account.

The other problem is I have 0 budget.  Nothing.  This is all
donations in kind - even the beast I'm typing on is a cast off.
If I could get funding it would help enormously. I'm looking
into some ways to do that as it happens but this is strictly
a bootstrapping operation here.

For the record I am logging on remotely using a recycled 386.
But I started the archive on an XT with an amber monochrome hercules
screen.  I know it can be done.  Websurfing, that is.

Using lynx and HTML actually helps me create a site anyone can read
regardless of browser or screen.  And this gets around the problem of
my machine always choking on Windows.  I haven't been able to get a functional
copy and I don't want to waste disk space on something that just keeps
gumminmg up.

Well, there's my accessibility rant for today. :)

-Dianne