Re: dam-l interested in Mexican rivers, dams and fish

> From:           "McAdam, Steve O." <smcadam@nelson.env.gov.bc.ca>
> To:             DAM DISCUSSION LIST <dam-l@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
> Subject:        dam-l interested in Mexican rivers, dams and fish
> Date sent:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 15:38:00 -0700
> Send reply to:  dam-l@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca

> Dear list members,
>
> I'm interested in getting in touch with people working or interested in
> the impacts of dams upon riverine fish in Mexico or Central America.  I
> am planning to travel to Guatemala/Mexico in the near future, and would
> be interested in meeting with people with interests in these areas.
> Over the longer term I am interested in becoming involved in research
> identifying the impacts of dam construction and operation upon riverine
> fish resources.  Again.  I am trying to focus upon Mexico and Central
> America due to personal interest, proximity to my home in British
> Columbia, Canada, and the potential for economic connections through
> NAFTA.. I you know of people that might be useful to contact, could you
> please let me know of them, ask them to contact me
> (smcadam@nelson.env.gov.bc.ca).
>
> One river of particular interest is the Usumacinta River.  According to
> information in the dam/reservoir archive there have been plans to dam
> that river.  If others have further information I would be very
> interested to hear from them.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven McAdam
> 1604 Cedar St.
> Nelson, B.C.
> Canada
>
> (250) 354-2018
> smcadam@nelson.env.gov.bc.ca

HI my name is john Mc sweeney and while i don't have any info on dam
impacts on fisheries in Central america, I do have some references
for the Aswan and Konya dams in Africa and a few relating to South
Asia. I'm off to Bangladesh tonight to make a video about the
formation of small scall fishing co-ops there so I'll be out of
touch for 3 weeks but will happily send the above refs on my return,
if required. Good luck with your studies!
Slan
John Mc>