dam-l how many is too many?

OK.

I guess I haven't been the best moderator as far as lists go,
being a bit of an introvert and new to running one of these
things. :)

Michael Richardson had suggested some kind of pre-canned discussion
to spark discussion on the list, so folks have something to respond
to.

I see the whole issue of water development as being not a matter of
these things are unilaterally bad but more in terms of... it's
bad to waste resources we already have [eg fish, farmland] on
building too many projects which are demonstrably destructiuve of these
valuable resources.

So it's more ... there is an upper limit of what's acceptable.

now -> in everyone's diverse reasearch, how many is to many dams?

I mean - how cacn we measure this sort of thing?

I expect it depends upon the discipline - or does it?

I know more about the runoff end of things and the biogeological constraints
than I do about say - how much weight of water exactly where will get you
a seismic event?  Or how many jobs do these things really create compared
to how many are lost especially to subsistance economies!

What does everyone's experience tell them about where the healthy limit
is for water development projects?

-Dianne
[the traffic is lighter on the net at night :) ]