dam-l Electricity at the Crossroads: A Conference

(Sorry folks if you receive more than one copy of this notice.
We have cross-posted it in a few places.)

Hello! We wanted to introduce ourselves, and invite you to an exciting and
sure-to-be "energetic" conference about the future of electricity in Québec.

We have been hired for five weeks to organize and publicize this "powerful"
event. And things are humming along!

We hope that you will join us for this strategic conference. Do get in
touch if you have any questions, ideas, or if you'd like to give a
presentation on Sunday. Register fast - we only have room for one hundred!

Ecologically yours,
Angela and Tooker

Electricity at the Crossroads: From Growth to Sustainability
(CCDE): a coalition of 46 environmental, consumer, union, farmer and
business groups representing over 500 thousand people.

Why a Strategic Conference?
----------------------------
For 35 years Hydro-Québec has been owned by and operated for the benefit of
ALL Québecers. It has been profitable and successful, and it has encouraged
economic development here in Québec. BUT, things could soon be very different.

Hydro-Québec and the Ministry of Natural Resources have announced big
plans. They want to massively expand the amount of electricity they
generate. They want to divert rivers and build dams. They want to start
burning lots of natural gas. They want to re-orient Hydro-Québec towards
growth and profits and away from the public interest.

They want to allow private corporations to generate electricity outside of
any planning or regulatory process. They are talking about selling off part
of the utility. It's expected that competition among electricity producers
is on the horizon. This sudden turn in energy policy is supposedly to take
advantage of opportunities in the eastern US market.

We Have a Different Vision!

Our conference aims to bring together all those interested in ensuring that
Hydro-Québec respects the integrity of the natural environment and operates
for the good of all Québecers. We know that a sustainable future can be
reached by investing in renewable sources of energy and energy conservation.

For the first time, Québecers, Americans, Canadians, and indigenous people
will meet together to formulate a vision to which we can all agree; a
common vision for the development of electricity that is guided by
ecologically sustainable and socially
equitable principles.

This conference will be a strategic conference meant to make a difference
in energy policy in the short and long term. It will be an immediate and
powerful reply to the development plan recently released by Hydro-Québec;
it will also formulate the vision of sustainability that we will offer in
its place.

Who Should Come and When?
---------------------------
We expect representatives from various geographic areas, including the USA,
Ontario and elsewhere in Canada, as well as from Québec. We expect people
from diverse backgrounds: farmers, aboriginal people, union activists,
consumers, environmentalists, academics, journalists, students, local
officials, and concerned citizens.

Languages
----------
The Conference will take place in French and English. Translation will be
available.

Schedule
---------
Saturday Nov. 15: 9 am - 9 pm
	This day will be dedicated to developing and affirming our common vision.

Sunday Nov. 16: 10 am - 5 pm
	Several inspiring and thought-provoking workshops will be held by and for
	conference attendees and the public at large.

Monday Nov. 17
	A media event, a rally and meetings with officials will ensure that our
vision 		is carried to the public.

Cost: $5 for one day, $10 for both Saturday and Sunday

Please Say You'll Come!

Electricity at the Crossroads: From Growth to Sustainability

Name _______________________________________

Address ______________________________________________________

Phone: res.________________ bus. _________________  fax ________________

email _______________________________________

registration fee enclosed: ____ $5 Saturday  ____ $5 Sunday  ____ donation

Do you need us to find you lodging? ____

If you live in Montreal, could you provide housing for one or more
conference attendee? ____

Do you understand spoken french? ____  spoken english? ____

Are you interested in giving a workshop on Sunday? ____ topic:

Do you (or your organization) want to set up a display? ____

Send registration to:
901 rue Bleury, #380, Montreal, Quebec, H2Z 1M3
ph. (514) 866-7407, fax (514)393-3398
email: hydroconf@netaxis.qc.ca