dam-l URGENT ACTION NICA:FOREST/PEOPLE

URGENT ACTION NEEDED ON NOVEMBER 10th TO PROTECT THE RAINFOREST AND
INDIGENOUS PEOPLES OF NICARAGUA'S NORTH ATLANTIC AUTONOMOUS REGION

We can make a differance and help protect the indigenous peoples and
rainforests of Nicaragua!  Please take action to stop illegal logging on
indigenous lands by SOLCARSA, a subsidiary of the Korean multinational Kum
Kyung.

INTERNATIONAL DAY OF ACTION 10 NOVEMBER 1997
Participate at actions or fax Nicaraguan Presidente Aleman (details folow)
or call the Nicaraguan embassy or consulate nearest you.

In the United States there will be gatherings at Nicaraguan
Embassies/Consulates in Washington, DC, New York City and San Francisco.

contacts:       Washington, DC--Soren Ambrose (202)544-9355
                New York--James Hansen (212)966-5244
                San Francisco--Chris Hatch (415)398-4404

If you can't make the actions please FAX Presidente Arnaldo Aleman
+505-228-7911 (in the US dial 011 first for international calls)

SAMPLE LETTER (please feel free to craft your own):

Dr. Arnoldo Aleman Lacayo
President of Nicaragua
Casa de la Presidencia
Managua, Nicaragua
FAX:  +505-228-7911

or Appropriate Consulate

Dear Mr. President / Consul:

     We are writing to affirm our solidarity with those in Nicaragua
and around the world who are today calling for the Nicaraguan
government to: (1) respect the autonomy of the indigenous peoples and
regional governments of the RAAN and the RAAS; (2) put an end to
illegal land concessions in those regions; and (3) stop the logging
of the rainforest of the Caribbean Coast.

 We join with thousands of activists around the world today to demand
that the illegal logging and violations of autonomy now taking place
there cease at once.

     We look forward to your response, and more importantly, to
positive action by the Nicaraguan government on behalf of the peoples
and environment of the Caribbean Coast.

                              Respectfully,

                              Individual
                              Organization

                              (on behalf of _____ organizations and
individuals in ______________ [country/locality])

10 de noviembre de 1997

Dr. Arnoldo Alem n Lacayo
Presidente de la Republica de Nicaragua
Casa de la Presidencia
Managuaa, Nicaragua
FAX: (505) 228-7911

o Consulado Apropriado

Estimado Senor Presidente/ Consulado:

Le escribimos para afirmar nuestra solidaridad con esas personas en
Nicaragua y por todo el mundo que est n pidiendo que el gobierno
nicaragense (1) respete la autonomia de los pueblos indigenas y los
gobiernos regionales de la RAAN y la RAAS; (2) deje de otorgar
concessiones de tierra ilegales en estas regiones; y (3) suspenda la
explotacion ilegal del bosque tropical en la costa caribe.

Nos unimos con miles de activistas por todo el mundo hoy para exigir que la
explotacion ilegal de los bosques y violaciones a la autonomia cesen
inmediatamente.

Quedamos a la espera de su repuesta y, m s importante, accion
positiva del gobierno nicaragense por el pueblo y medio ambiente de
la costa caribe.

Muy atentamente,

The International Day of Action is being coordinated by Nicaragua Network,
Native Forest Network and Delaware Valley Rainforest Action Group.

For further info (although we will be out of the office from 7-12 November,
we can be reached at the Nicaragua Network office @ 202 544 9355):

Orin Langelle/Phil Fitzpatrick
NATIVE FOREST NETWORK
Eastern North America Resource Center