dam-l Katse Dam story (fwd)

Forwarded message:
From owner-irn-safrica@igc.org  Wed Nov 19 14:56:24 1997
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:20:09 -0800 (PST)
From: lori@irn.org (Lori Pottinger)
Sender: owner-irn-safrica@igc.org
Subject: Katse Dam story
To: irn-safrica@igc.apc.org

The following seems to have been inspired by LHDA-offered trips to see the
wonders of Katse Dam. Not too good a story, but not without its merits.

>>Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 7:05:27 PST
>>

>>   (FEATURE) by Glenn McKenzie - pictures
>>   KATSE DAM, Lesotho, Nov 12 (AFP) - Wedged between the ragged
>>Maluti mountains, this massive concrete dam embodies the dreams and
>>fears of some of Africa's poorest, most secluded people.
>>   Eleven years after South Africa's former apartheid regime
>>envisioned the massive curved structure in a deal with the
>>then-military rulers of tiny Lesotho, the final touches have been
>>put on the 185-metre (600 foot) tall concave Katse Dam.
>>   The dam forms the centrepiece of the Lesotho Highlands Water
>>Project, an elaborate system of dams and underground tunnels
>>designed to carry Lesotho's most precious resource -- water -- to
>>South Africa's thirsty industrial heartland.
>>   The project, which will be officially launched in January, is
>>already being called the world's largest system involving the
>>transfer of water from one drainage basin (an area where water flows
>>to a single ocean or sea) to another.
>>   And developers have further, as-yet unapproved plans to triple
>>the system's output in coming decades.
>>   Lesotho, a mountainous nation of cattle-herders and small
>>farmers that is completely surrounded by South Africa, has few more
>>precious resources than its water.
>>   The country of two million people depends almost entirely on its
>>sole neighbor South Africa for economic income, with the bulk of its
>>job-seekers ending up in South African mines.
>>   But the mining industry has undergone tough times in recent
>>years, and many citizens of Lesotho, who call themselves Basuthos,
>>see the highlands water project as a God-sent source of income and
>>jobs.
>>   "We created 12,000 man-year jobs in 1996 and we will create more
>>in further phases of the project go through," said the project's
>>chief physical planner Ben Mateka.
>>   By January 22 next year, when officials will hold the official
>>opening ceremonies, 26 cubic metres of water will flow to South
>>Africa every second via a network of underground tunnels.
>>   Aside from the jobs, Lesotho will earn 55 million dollars a year
>>in royalties, and the project will create enough electricity to meet
>>the small country's needs by the middle of next year.
>>   Dam organisers have built roads, schools and clinics for many
>>local villages and have plans to provide electricity and piped water
>>to many others.
>>   But the dams and tunnels are not without controversy.
>>   At least five Basotho dam workers were killed and several others
>>injured in fighting with police last September. The workers were
>>protesting against alleged racist hiring policies of the South
>>African contractors.
>>   And project planners concede that social problems, including
>>sexually-transmitted diseases, have invaded tiny, remote grass hut
>>villages that were once reachable only by donkey, but are now
>>connected with the outside world via new roads.
> [...]

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org