dam-l consequences of decommissioning: question

Forwarded message:
From baovg@sage.plu.edu  Tue Nov 25 03:54:51 1997
From: baovg@sage.plu.edu
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 00:34:54 -0800 (PST)
Subject: http://www.sandelman.ocunix.on.ca/PIRGs/CPHJB/
To: dianne@sandelman.ocunix.on.ca
Cc: baovg@plu.edu

Hello.  I'm a student at Pacific Lutheran University.  I am in a writing class with "the river runs through it theme."  We discuss the role rivers play in our lives.  I went through many websites looking for ingredients for my writing project.  One thing
I could not perceive is what the environmentalists and the public want to do with the dams.  If everyone finally sees the negative impacts dams have on us, what should do then.  Are you suggesting we should tear down the dams, "turn it off" and leave it b
e, or maybe put a hole in it and let the water course through?  I don't have the facts, but isn't there consequences if rivers were to be set free after so many decades of embodiment?  Your response would be appreciated.  I am as much motivated in writing
 a good paper as I am interested in this issue.  VAN BAO.