dam-l Urgent! Help Hungarians Protect Danube & Europe's Unique Inland Sea (fwd)

Forwarded message:
From dianne  Tue Nov 25 14:12:59 1997
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:12:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Dianne Murray <dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
To: dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Posted-To: talk.environment,misc.activism.progressive
Subject: Urgent! Help Hungarians Protect Danube & Europe's Unique Inland Sea

[This message has also been posted.]
---------------------
Forwarded from http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/dams and
fodoran@falco.geobio.elte.hu (Professor Andras Fodor)

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 08:08:18 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Two more dams on the Danube: A plea for help

>>**Hungarian Gov't Danube Decision Contravenes World Court Verdict**<<

Secretary of State Janos Nemcsok declared today, that instead of the
decomposed Nagymaros Dam, Hungary will build two 'smaller' ones.<P>

This statement made even the Slovak delegation astonished!<P>

We ask your help in protesting this decision which is
against the ruling of the World Court in The Hague!<P>

<STRONG>We can destroy the Danube and the only inland sea delta of Europe (the
Szigetkoz) only once!</STRONG><P>

This is *very* urgent - please write your IMMEDIATE INDIVIDUAL LETTER; you
can protest by writing to horn@mehp.meh.hu - the Hungarian Prime Minister
& p104@meph.meh.hu - the President of the Republic. Urge your senator to
speak out against this damaging and wasteful project.<P>

The decision flies in the face of the people's wishes, and makes a mockery
of Hungarian democracy.  You can help change this situation! We ask for
the help of all environmentalist organisations of the world.<P>

Act before it is too late... <P>

Please help!<P>

fodoran@falco.geobio.elte.hu
prof. Andras Fodor