dam-l Sri Lankan EIA's?

Forwarded message:
From Dperies@aol.com  Thu Nov 27 17:38:17 1997
From: Dperies <Dperies@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 17:16:51 EST
To: dianne@sandelman.ocunix.on.ca

ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT ON AN IRRIGATION PROJECT

I am a graduate student of the University of Durham in England.  I am reading
for an MSc degree in environmental management and practice.  In my second year
I have to write a dissertation to complete this degree.  I have chosen the
topic: EIA of agricultural development projects.  My intention is to examine
the environmental impact statements (EISs) prepared on large- scale
agricultural development projects, particularly in the tropical developing
countries.  I want to compare these with any post-project evaluation of the
impacts and write a critique on these statements.  The dissertation will
explain why some projects are environmental "successes" and others are
"failures".  It is hoped that the dissertation will provide pointers on how to
frame projects so that environmental damage is minimized and sustainable
development ensured.

I am originally from Sri Lanka and have selected the Mahaweli River
Hydroelectric Project for my investigation.  I lived less than 200 meters from
the banks of this river for over 15 years.  I watched the birth of these
projects, watching the various programmes growing in front of my eyes.  This
was all as an bystander; I was not involved in any of the activities.

Now I am living in England for the past 10 years; have lost all contact with
Mahaweli and Sri Lanka.  That is why I am writing to you.  I wonder whether
you have any EIAs or EISs on Mahaweli itself.  Any information on post-project
assessments?  If not, any similar reports on  a comparable large-scale river
dam project would be useful to me.

Thanking you in anticipation of y our help,

David Peries

Please send your reply to my home address:
34 Hartside View, Durham, DH1-5DX, England, UK
Tel & Fax: +44-191-384-1662;  E-mail: Dperies@aol.com