dam-l Moisie diversions on ice? (fwd)

Forwarded message:
From energie@netaxis.qc.ca  Thu Feb  5 12:49:27 1998
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:28:03 -0500
Subject: Moisie diversions on ice?

Friends,

Greetings again. I have just had encouraging phone call from Armand
McKenzie of Mamit-Inuwat near Sept-Iles. According to him, the
president of Hydro-Québec, André Caillé, visited Sept-Iles on Tuesday
3 February 98 and announced that the proposed diversions of two
of the headwaters rivers of the Moisie River, the Carheil and Aux
Pékans rivers, would be suspended by Hydro-Québec until they had been
shown to be environmentally acceptable and also acceptable to the local
population. He apparently gave no timetable for determining these
issues.

Armand himself was in Québec City that day and has cautioned me that
this information might have a different slant once he has reviewed
the CBC tapes that were made of Caillé's press conference.

And we should of course remember what happened a couple of years
after the Great Whale project was "put on ice".

But in the meantime it may be possible for us to breathe a little
easier.

e-mail:   energie@netaxis.qc.ca