dam-l Vanishing Waters - new book from Freshwater Research Unit, Cape Town

New, a book from members of the Freshwater Research Unit at the University of
Cape Town, South Africa.  "Vanishing Waters".

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:00:00 -0800 (PST)
From: lori@irn.org (Lori Pottinger)
Sender: owner-irn-safrica@igc.org
Subject: New book on SA Water
To: "undisclosed-recipients:;"@igc.org

The following describes a new book available from one of our colleagues in
South Africa. I haven't seen the book, so can't offer a first-hand review.

Lori

>A new book entitled "Vanishing Waters" written by Bryan Davies and
>Jenny Day of the Freshwater Research Unit at the University of
>Cape Town, South Africa, was published through UCT Press/Juta, Cape
>Town, South Africa early in February 1998.  The book contains
>several hundred line-drawing illustrations by scientific artist
>Claire Douie Griffiths of Harare, Zimbabwe, together with a colour
>plate section.
>
>At 487 pages the book contains eleven chapters covering the
>conservation, management and crisis facing inland waters in the
>dryland regions of southern Africa, from the Zambezi Valley
>southwards.  The book details southern Africa's water-supply
>crisis, distribution of water, and the misuse and abuse of water
>through over-engineering for water supply projects and over-
>abstraction by farming communities and urban populations of
>the region.
>
>Separate chapters cover the ecological functioning, conservation and
>management of coastal lakes, wetlands, estuaries, reservoirs, and
>perenial and intermittent rivers, and their distribution, uses and
>abuses.  The book also contains extensive chapters on the
>many kinds of water pollution and their control, water-borne
>diseases, invasive organisms, and the ecological impacts of dams and
>inter-basin water transfers on river ecosystems throughout the
>region.  There is an extensive review of water-supply versus water-
>demand management, alternate sources of water supply, water-savings
>devices as well as agricultural, industrial and domestic uses
>of water in the context of the revolutionary new South African Water
>Law.
>
>Aimed at the interested lay public, teachers, scientists,
>conservationists, managers and students, there is also an extensive
>chapter on methods of study of inland waters as well as projects for
>schools and University students.
>
>An extensive glossary and index aids use and, for the first time,
>there is an illustrated guide and idenitification key to the major
>groups of invertebrate organisns of southern African inland waters.
>A Foreword has been written by Professor Kader Asmal, the South
>African Minister of Water Affairs and newly appointed Chair of the
>Commission on Large Dams.
>
>The book is suitable as a University course text and should also
>reach the schools market.
>
>Copies may be ordered directly by email through UCT Press:
>contact
>UCTPRESS@HIDDINGH.UCT.AC.ZA.  The US Dollar retail price is $39.95
>including postage and packing.
>Bryan Davies                        WATER: MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD!
>
>    "Each ghostly reflection in the clear waters of the lakes tells
>                    of events in the life of my people.
>     The water's murmer is the voice of my father's father.   The
>   rivers are our brothers.   They quench our thirst.   They carry
>  our canoes and feed our children.   So you must give to the rivers
> [...]

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org