dam-l SMIII Project in Quebec

This is a message addressed to Jaime, a student at McGill Univ. who posted
on this list (I don't have your e-mail, Jaime, but received the response
posted by Native forest Network):

Dear Jaime,

	I am writing a Master's thesis on the social and environmental
impacts of this Hydro-electric development in Quebec. As far as I know,
there are no endangered species, such as wolves, that are threatened by
this project. The threatened species of most concern is the Atlantic
Salmon, which, according to biologists from the Atlantic Salmon Federation
(ASF), will be exposed to an "unacceptable level of risk," if the Moisie
River headwaters diversions are carried out. The ASF made their
conclusions after analyzing an "expert" report commissioned by a joint
federal-provincial three-man committee. This report, using complex
modelling based in part on the doubtful experience of the Snake River in
the USA, determined that the risk to the Moisie River Salmon was minimal.

Other impacts on the river system have either been ignored by provincial
authorities, or given cursory attention.

For more information, you may contact the ASF at <asf@nbnet.nb.ca>, or Tom
Holzinger at the Coalition contre la denationalisation  seems to be quite
well informed as well. His email address is: <t.holzinger@netaxis.qc.ca>.

I can be reached at the above e-mail address. My one page website is the
following:  http://www.unh.edu/natural-resources/grad-msmith.html

			Sincerely,

				Michael Smith