dam-l PacifiCorp confirms their withdrawal from the Maheshwar Project

May 7, 1998

Shripad Dharmadhikary
for Narmada Bachao Andolan
B-13, Shivam Flats, Ellora Park, Baroda-390 007, India

Dear Shripad Dharmadhikary,

  Subject: Maheshwar Hydel Project

Thank you for your letter to our CEO, Mr. Frederick Buckman, dated March
22, 1998.  We are indeed familiar with the Maheshwar Hydel Project and have
been aware of the issues surrounding the Project over the past months.
PacifiCorp, through its subsidiary, PacGen, was at one time an active
investor in the project.  In early 1996, however, PacifiCorp made the
decision not to pursue energy infrastructure investments in India,
including its efforts in the Maheshwar project.  PacifiCorp has maintained
contact with the promoters of the project, S. Kumars, through its
subsidiary, PacGen.  The entity is inactive from the standpoint of
providing any further financial support and is meant only to hold our

We regard the issues described in your letter very seriously.  PacifiCorp
has a long history as a responsible steward of the environment.  Though we
expended sums in the early development of the Maheshwar Project several
years ago, we do not intend to participate further in the Project and would
not expect our name to be used as a current investor and developer.

We have much respect for the S. Kumars organization, but we also respect
the concerns of the people expressed in your letter to us.  You can be
assured that PacifiCorp will continue to respect your concerns and will
take no active role in the project.  S. Kumars has been kind enough to keep
the opportunity open to us to participate actively again in the Project.
If PacifiCorp were to reevaluate an investment position in the Project in
the future, it would only be under the condition that the needs of the mass
of affected people be properly addressed and consensus regarding how the
Project proceeds is reached by all stakeholders, including Narmada Bachao
Andolan.

Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have any further
questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Dennis J. Quinn
Vice President

Cc: Mr. Patrick McCully, International Rivers Network
Mr. Mukul Kasliwal, Shree Maheshwar Hydel Power Corp., Ltd.

        Susanne Wong
        Campaigns Assistant
        International Rivers Network
        1847 Berkeley Way