dam-l towns submerged by lakes

Message text written by INTERNET:dam-l@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
><

I believe there are numerous such towns, but I can point you to a few.  In
Massachusetts (US), when the Quabin reservoir was built to supply water to
Boston, several towns were submerged.  I believe that some books and
articles have been written about them (Massachusetts is a very
literature/history oriented place).  I do not have any titles, but you
could also search for Quabin on the web and/or speak to research librarian
at Boston Public Library.

Other leads: I am fairly sure that some towns were submerged as part of the
numerous projects of Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) for power
generation/flood control/navigation.  Books have certainly been written
concerning TVA's history, but once again I do not have specific cites.  If
you can not otherwise find anything, you could also try TVA itself.

Finally, the Columbia River dams in Washington/Oregon/British Columbia
(US/Canada) typically did not involve a high ratio of area to volume for
flooding (since they were typically placed in steep valleys).  Still, I
think the Bonneville Dam did require relocation of at least one town.  You
could seek information from the US Army Corps of Engineers that built the
US dams; their national headquarters in no doubt in the Washington DC area,
but their regional office is in Portland, Oregon.

Good luck.