From: John Dracup
To: hydrology@eng.monash.edu.au
Cc: judyking@ucla.edu
Subject: Dam Removal & Fish Passage
Date: Tuesday, June 23, 1998 12:20PM

Dear hydrologists:  Here's a set of references about dam removal that I
thought might be of interest to some of you.  Best regards,  John Dracup

>Date:         Mon, 22 Jun 1998 12:59:21 +0000
>Sender: fishpass List <FISHPASS@MAIL.ORST.EDU>
>From: Laura Wildman <MMI-CT@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
>Subject:      Dam Removal & Fish Passage
>To: Multiple recipients of list FISHPASS <FISHPASS@MAIL.ORST.EDU>
>
>Hello Fish Folk,
>
>This is a list of references I gathered last year with your help.  I am
>posting the full list now to thank-you all for the valuable information you
>sent my way.  Our project is going well and we have recommended removing
>several consecutive dams.  I believe I sent a shorter version of this list
>some time ago, soon after receiving your responses.  It is a rather
informal
>list, so please don't hold me to the specific reference layout.  I listed
>the information I thought would be helpful in looking up these references.
>I broke the references down into sections, emphasizing those references
>relating specifically to dam removal.  The fish passage and habitat
sections
>are a bit slim because I figure many of you have plenty references on that
>subject.  Some of the references are just newspaper articles or project
>reports, not formal papers.
>
>I also put together a short literature search on Sediment Transport
Relating
>to Dam Removal, listing past dam removals and how they dealt with the issue
>of sediment transport.  If any of you are interested I'll post that later
>after I get a chance to check it over (once again it is very informal, I'm
>not looking to publish!).
>
>Thanks again!  Hope to see many of you at the Annual AFS Meeting this
August
>in Hartford, Connecticut.  If you have any questions about the area just
>give me a call or e-mail.  I live about 5 minutes outside of Hartford.
>

>Laura AS Wildman, PE
>Milone & MacBroom, Inc.
>(203)271-1773
>e-mail: MMI-CT@worldnet.att.net

>Dam Removal
>***********
>
>American Society of Civil Engineers, 1997, Guidelines for Retirement of
Dams
>and Hydroelectric Facilities, Task Committee on Guidelines for Retirement
of
>Dams and Hydroelectric Facilities of the Hydropower Committee of the Energy
>Division of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
>
>Breining, G, 1994, Dam Yanking, The Minnesota Volunteer, Mar/Apr: 19-25.
>
>Browers, R. and M. Bowman, 1995, Hydroelectric Relicensing: How Relicensing
>Can Affect Dam Removals, River Voice, Winter 1995 p7-10.
>
>Bureau of Reclamation, Lower Colorado Region, Rindge Dam Removal Study: An
>Effort to Reduce the Decline of Malibu Creek Steelhead Trout Population in
>Southern California, Appraisal Report, April 1995
>
>Department of Urban and Regional Planning, University of
>Wisconsin-Madison/Extension, 1996, The Removal of Small Dams: An
>Institutional Analysis of the Wisconsin Experience, Extension Report 96-1.
>
>Gore, J. A., 1985, The Restoration of Rivers and Streams: Theories and
>Experience, Butterworth Publishers, Stoneham, MA.
>
>Grooms, S., 1994, Undoing the Dams, The Flyfisher, No. 4: pp. 27-29.
>
>Haberman, R., 1995, Freeing the Kettle River: Public Involvment was Key to
>Success in Minnesota, River Voice, Winter 1995, p16-17.
>
>Haberman, R. and G. Appelson., 1995, Restoring Florida+s Ocklawaha River by
>Removing Rodman Dam,  River Voice, Winter 1995, p11.
>
>Haberman, R., 1995, Dam Fights of the 1990+s: Removals, River Voices, Vo.
5:
>No.4.
>
>Johnson, P., 1985, Blowing up dams, Audubon 87(1):26-29.
>
>Kanehl, P., J. Lyons and J. Nelson. In Press. Changes in the habitat and
>fish community of the Milwaukee River, Wisconsin, following removal of the
>Woolen Mills Dam, North American Journal of Fisheries Management.
>
>Law/Crandall, Inc., Report of Geotechnical and Environmental Study, Malibu
>Creek Steelhead Restoration Project, Malibu Area, Los Angeles County,
>California, May 23, 1993.
>
>McLane, B. and R. Haberman, 1995, Restoring the Wild Rogue River: Water Law
>is the Lever to Remove Savage Rapids Dam, River Voice, Winter 1995, p18-19.
>
>National Parks Service, 1987, Environmental Assessment, Upper Dam Removal,
>Lost Man Creek, Redwood National Park, US Department of the Interior, 28p.
>
>National Parks Service, 1987, Environmental Assessments and Addendums,
>Electric Distribution System Replacement and Cascade Dam Removal, Yosemite
>National Park, CA, US Department of the Interior, 24p.
>
>Nelson, L. M., 1972, Potential Transport of Sediment from Enloe Reservoir
by
>the Similkameen and Okanogan Rivers, Washington, Open-File Report, US
>Department of the Interior Geological Survey, Tacoma, WA.
>
>Pansic, N., R. Austin and M. Finis, Sediment Management for Dam
>Decommissioning, Haza Engineering Company.
>
>Pawloski, J., and L. Cook,  1992, Salling Dam Drawdown and Removal,
Michigan
>Department of Natural Resources, Proceedings of the Association of State
Dam
>Safety Officials,  Ninth National Conference.
>
>Randle, T. and J. Lyons, Elwha River Restoration and Sediment Management,
>Elwha River Restoration, Hydraulic Engineers, Bureau of Reclamation,
>Technical Service Center, Denver, CO.
>
>Ross, C., 1993, Dammed if They Do Un-dammed if They Don+t, American City
and
>County. Nov: 39-46.
>
>Rutherford, K. B., C. L. Granju and B. A. Tschantz, Decommissioning a Dam -
>The Beaman Lake Experience.
>
>Shuman, J. R., 1995, Environmental Considerations for Assessing Dam Removal
>Alternatives for River Restoration,  Regulated Rivers: Research and
>Management. Vol 11: 249-261.
>
>Shuman, J. R., 1995, The Importance of Environmental Assessments for Dam
>Removals, River Voice, Winter 1995, p12-15.
>
>Shuman, J. R. 1995, Environmental Assessments for Proposed Dam Removals,
>River Voices, 5(4). p.12.
>
>Trihey, E. W., P.E., Malibu Creek Sediment Transport Analysis, March 1989.
>
>U. S. Department of the Interior, May 1996, Removal of Elwha and Glines
>Canyon Dams, Elwha Technical Series PN-95-7, Elwha River Ecosystem and
>Fisheries Restoration Project, Washington, Bureau of Reclamation, Pacific
>Northwest Region, Boise, Idaho.
>
>U. S. Department of the Interior, November 1996, Elwha River Ecosystem
>Restoration Implementation - Final Environmental Impact Statement, Olympic
>National Park, Washington Denver Service Center, National Park Service  -
>DSC-TWE, PO Box 25287, Denver, CO 80225-0287.
>
>U. S. Department of the Interior, April 1996, Elwha River Ecosystem
>Restoration Implementation - Draft Environmental Impact Statement, Olympic
>National Park, Washington Denver Service Center, National Park Service,
>Denver, CO.
>
>U. S. Department of the Interior, October 1996, Sediment Analysis and
>Modeling of the River Erosion Alternative, Elwha Technical Series PN-95-9,
>National Park Service, Pacific Northwest Region, Boise, ID.
>
>Williams, D. T., 1977, Effects of Dam Removal: An Approach to
Sedimentation,
>Technical Paper No. 50, U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, The Hydrological
>Engineering Center.
>
>Williams, T., 1993, Freeing the Kennebec River, Audubon. Sept/Oct: 36-42.
>
>Winter, B. D.,  April 1990, A Brief Review of Dam Removal Efforts in
>Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and California, NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS
>F/NWR-28, US Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric
>Administration, National Marine Fisheries Service.
>
>Sediment Transport/Hydraulics
>*****************************
>
>Ackers, P. and White, W.R., Sediment Transport:  A New Approach and
>Analysis, Journal of the Hydraulics Division, American Society of Civil
>Engineers, Vol. 99 (HY11), November 1973.
>
>Alonso, C.V., Selecting a Formula to Estimate Sediment Transport Capacity
in
>Nonvegetated Channels, U.S. Department of Agriculture Research Report 26,
>May 1980.
>
>Chang, Howard, H., Fluvial Processes in River Engineering, John Wiley &
>Sons, New York, New York, 1988.
>
>Chow, V.T., Open Channel Hydraulics, McGraw Hill, New York, New York, 1959.
>
>Colby, Bruce R., Fluvial Sediments - A Summary of Source, Transportation,
>Deposition, and Measurement of Sediment Discharge, Geological Survey
>Bulletin 1181-A, U.S. Geological Survey, Washington, D.C., 1963
>
>Laursen, Emmett M., The Total Sediment Load of Streams,  Journal of the
>Hydraulic Division, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 84, No. HY1,
>Feb. 1958, p. 1530-1 to 1530-36.
>
>MacBroom, J., 1994, Sediment Transport Analytical Methods, Milone &
>MacBroom, Inc., Cheshire, CT 06410.
>
>Roig, L., B. Donnell, W. Thomas, W. McAnallys, and S. Adamec, 1996, A Users
>Manual for SED2D-WES, A Generalized Computer Program for Two-Dimensional,
>Vertically Averaged Sediment Transport, US Army Corps of Engineers,
>Waterways Experiment Station.
>
>Rosgen, D, 1996, Applied River Morphology, Wildland Hydrology, Pagosa
>Springs, Colorado.
>
>Shen, H.W., Total Sediment Load, River Mechanics, Vol. 1, Chapter 13, Water
>Resources Publications, Fort Collins, Colorado, 1971.
>
>Thomas, William A., HEC-6 Scour and Deposition in Rivers and Reservoirs,
>Users Manual, Hydrologic Engineering Center, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers,
>Davis California, March 1977.
>
>Thomas, William A, and McAnally, William H., User's Manual for the
>Generalized Computer Program, Open Channel Flow and Sedimentation, U.S.
Army
>Corps of Engineers Waterways Experiment Station, Vicksbury, Mississippi,
>July 1985.
>
>Toffaleti, F.B., A Procedure for Computation of total River Sand Discharge
>and Detailed Distribution, Bed to Surface, Committee on Channel
>Stabilization, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, November 1966.
>
>Vanoni, Vito, Editor, Sedimentation Engineering, Manual of Practice #54,
>American Society of Civil Engineers, New York, New York, 1975.
>
>Yang, Chih Ted, 1996, Sediment Transport - Theory and Practice, McGraw-Hill
>Companies, Inc.
>
>Fish Passage
>************
>
>Aaserude, R. G. and J. F. Orsborn, 1985, New Concepts in Fish Ladder
Design,
>Part 2: Results of Laboratory and Field Research on New Concepts in Weir
and
>Pool Fishways, Washington State University Department of Civil and
>Environmental Engineering.
>
>Bates, Ken, 1997, Fish Design Guidelines for Pacific Salmon, Washington
>Department of Fish and Wildlife.
>
>Behlke, Charles E., 1991, Power and Energy Implications of Passage
>Structures for Fish, University of Alaska Fairbanks, PO Box 82230,
>Fairbanks, Alaska, 99708
>
>Behlke, Charles E, Douglas L. Kane, Robert F. McLean, and Michael D.
Travis,
>1991, Fundamentals of Culvert Design for Passage of Weak-Swimming Fish,
>Report No. FHWA-AK-RD-90-10, prepared for the State of Alaska, Dept. of
>Transportation and Public Facilities, Fairbanks, Alaska, 99709
>
>Buell, J. W. Ph.D., 1986, Lake Creek Falls Fish Passage Project,
Feasibility
>and Plan Report, Buell and Associates, Inc.
>
>Buell, J. W. Ph.D., 1986, South Fork Alsea Falls Fish Passage Project,
>Feasibility and Plan Report, Buell and Associates, Inc.
>
>Clancy, Christopher G. and Donald R. Reichmuth, A Detachable Fishway for
>Steep Culverts, North American Journal of Fisheries Management 10:244-246,
1990.

>Clay, Charles H., 1995, Design of Fishways and Other Fish Facilities,
Second
>Edition, Lewis Publishers.
>
>Congress of the United States, Office of Technology Assessment, 1995, Fish
>Passage Technologies: Protection at Hydropower Facilities, OTA-ENV-641.
>
>E.A. Engineering, Science, and Technology, 1991, James River Instream Flow
>Study: Fish Passage Evaluations, Unpublished technical report.
>
>Katapodis, C., P. E., 1992, addendum 1994, Introduction to Fishway Design,
>Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
>
>Kynard, B., 1997, Fish Passageways and Diversion Structures, Conte
>Anadromous Fish Research Center, Turners Falls, MA.
>
>Kynard, B., and John O'Leary, Evaluation of a Bypass System for Spent
>American Shad at Holyoke Dam, Massachusetts, North American Journal of
>Fisheries Management 13:782-789, 1993.
>
>Lauman, Jim E., 1976, Salmonid Passage at Stream-Road Crossings, A Report
>with Department Standards for Passage of Salmonids, Department of Fish and
>Wildlife, Portland, Oregon.
>
>Orsborn, J. F., 1985, New Concepts in Fish Ladder Design, Part 1: Summary,
>Washington State University Department of Civil and Environmental
Engineering.

>Prendergast, John, Fishy Business, Civil Engineering, November 1994.
>
>Quinn, Richard F., Fish Passage Facilities for Alosa, Anadromous Alosa
>Symposium, 1994, pp 119-127.
>
>Rajaratnam, N, G. Van der Vinne and C. Katopodis, Hydraulics of Vertical
>Slot Fishways, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol. 112, No. 10, October
1986.

>Rajaratnam, N. and C. Katopodis, Hydraulics of Denil Fishways, Journal of
>Hydraulic Engineering, Vol. 110, No. 9, September 1984.
>
>Rajaratnam, N. and C. Katopodis, Plunging and Streaming Flows in Pool and
>Weir Fishways, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol. 114, No. 8, August
1988.

>Robinson, D. B. and P. Johnson, 1995, Evaluation of the Use of Bypass
>Channels to Improve Fish Passage at Red Bluff Diversion Dam on the
>Sacramento River, California, U. S. Department of Interior, Bureau of
>Reclamation.
>
>Smith, Malcolm E., Completion Report - Fish Passage Maintenance &
>Improvement, Project #AFS-25-D, Anadromous Fish Division, Maine Department
>of Marine Resources.
>
>Thorncraft, G. A. and J. Harris, 1996, Assessment of Rock Ramp Fishways,
NWS
>Fisheries Research Institute and the Cooperative Research Center for
>Freshwater Ecology.
>
>Thrall, James H. and Rimas J. Banys, Environmental Aspects of Fish
>Facilities, Section 18.
>
>Whelan, Gary E., 1997, The History and Status of Upstream Fish Passage in
>Michigan, draft, Michigan Department of Natural Resources.
>
>Fish Behavior
>*************
>
>Barbin, G. and W. Krueger, 1994, Behavior and Swimming Performance of
Elvers
>of American Eel, Anguilla rostrata, in an experimental flume, Journal of
>Fish Biology 45: 111 - 121.
>
>Holsapple, J. and L. Foster, 1975, Reproduction of White Perch in the Lower
>Hudson River, NY Fish and Game Journal 22: 122 - 127.
>
>Kissil, G. 1974, Spawning of Anadromous Alewives, Alosa pseudoharengus, in
>Bride Lake, CT, TAFS 103: 312 - 317.
>
>Kynard, B., 1993, Fish Behavior Important for Fish Passage, Proc. Fish
>Passage and Technology Symposium, Portland, OR.
>
>Loftus, K., 1982, Proc. of the 1980 North American Eel Conference. Ontario
>Fish Tech. Report No. 4
>
>USFWS Species Profiles: American Eel, Biol. Report 82 (11.74), August 1987.
>
>Fish Habitat
>************
>
>U. S. Department of Agriculture, December 1986, Wildlife and Fisheries
>Habitat Improvement Handbook, Neil F. Payne and Frederick Copes, Editors.
>
>Whitworth, W., 1996,  Freshwater Fishes of Connecticut, Second Edition,
>Bulletin 114, State Geological and Natural History Survey of Connecticut.
>
>General River Restoration
>*************************
>
>U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1994, Blackstone River Restoration Study,
>Department of the Army, Corps of Engineers, New England Division.

Professor John A. Dracup
5732 Boelter Hall
UCLA
Civil & Environmental Engineering Dept.
Box 951593
Los Angeles, CA. 90095-1593
dracup@seas.ucla.edu
Phone: 310-825-2176
FAX: 310-206-7245
http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~dracup
Director, Center for Study of Hydroclimatology in the Pacific Rim (CHPR)