dam-l FW: Babbitt on Removing Dams

Good read.
 ----------
From: Hammond, Jay
To: Baccante, Nick; McGregor, Ian; Reid, George; Cadden, Don; HOOTON, Bob
S.; Swiatkiewicz, Vic; Leggett, Jack; Martin, Al; Down, Ted
Subject: FW: Babbitt on Removing Dams (fwd)
Date: Monday, August 17, 1998 1:57PM

 ----------
From: Woods, Guy
To: Lindsay, Bob; Hammond, Jay; Morley, Rick
Date: Monday, August 17, 1998 11:38AM

 "Dams are not Forever"
 Remarks of Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt Ecological
 Society of America
 August 4, 1998 Baltimore, Maryland

 In keeping with the theme of this year's conference, I
 would like to briefly revisit some aquatic ecosystems I
 have toured since since we last met. Usually my trips to
 rivers involve a canoe and paddle, or flyfishing rod and
 reel. More recently I arrive with sledgehammer in hand, to
 celebrate destruction of dams.

 I suspect this breaks with tradition. Six decades ago,
 President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and his Interior
 Secretary Harold Ickes toured the country to dedicate dams,
 new dams, powerful dams, including four of the largest dams
 in the history of civilization. They built dams for barge
 traffic, for electricity, for irrigation, for drinking
 water, for flood control. For most of this century,
 politicians have eagerly rushed in, amidst cheering crowds,
 to claim credit for the construction of 75,000 dams all
 across America. Think about that number. That means we have
 been building, on average, one large dam a day, every
 single day, since the Declaration of Independence. Many of
 these dams have became monuments, expected to last forever.

 You could say forever just got a lot shorter.

 Starting last June 17: I hoisted a sledgehammer to mark the
 removal of four dams, opening 160 miles of the Menominee
 River flowing between Wisconsin and Michigan.

 September 23: I visited the Olympic Peninsula to see two
 Elwha River dams which the Administration plans to remove
 to restoreone of the fabled chinook salmon runs of the
 river.

 December 17: I took my sledgehammer to punch open the 55
 year old, 260-foot Quaker Neck Dam on the Neuse River,
 opening 925 miles of fish spawning habitat.

 May 26: Beside the Kennebec River, in the heart of Augusta,
 Maine, I signed documents clearing the way for the removal
 of the 160-year-old 917-foot Edwards Hydro Dam.

 July 14: On Butte Creek,  in the heart of California's
 agricultural Central Valley, I took the first crack at
 breaking up McPherrin Dam to restore chinook slamon in that
 Sacramento river tributary.

 July 15: One day later, in downtown Medford, Oregon, I
 unpacked the sledgehammer to breach Bear Creek dam, the
 first dam removed in the Pacific Northwest, for coho
 salmon.

 Every stop on this dam-busting tour attracts enormous
 local, regional and national attention. In fact, a lot more
 attention than we earned with our paddle and canoe during
 the National Heritage Tours in 1995 and 1996. Even more
 than we got with our flyrod during the rare native fishing
 tours last year.

 So what is it about the clang of sledgehammer on concrete
 that evokes such a response?

 I believe that huge public interest reflects a deep,
 widespread understanding that America overshot the mark in
 our dam building frenzy. In the Nineteenth Century,
 construction of the Erie Canal triggered a spasm of canal
 building that went on and on, beyond any realistic
 expectation of economic return. Having a canal became the
 symbol of a progressive community. Everyone just had to
 have one, irrespective of its utility.

 In this century, dam building has moved on a similar
 trajectory -- dams that were clearly justified for their
 economic value gradually gave way to projects built with
 excessive taxpayer subsidies, then justified by dubious
 cost/benefit projections.

 The public is now learning that we have paid a steadily
 accumulating price for these projects in the form of: fish
 spawning runs destroyed, downstream rivers altered by
 changes in temperature, unnatural nutrient load and
 seasonal flows, wedges of sediment piling up behind
 structures, and delta wetlands degraded by lack of fresh
 water and saltwater intrusion. Rivers are always on the
 move and their inhabitants know no boundaries; salmon and
 shad do not read maps, only streams.

 The clang of the sledge hammer is one of the oldest sounds
 known to man. Yet now, at the end of the twentieth century,
 we are using it to ring in an entirely new era of
 conservation history, moving beyond preservation or
 protection towards a deeper, more complex movement, the
 affirmative act of restoration.

 Restoration grows out of the same stewardship impulse as
 preservation, but pushes beyond, as one might renovate an
 old, neglected farm to inhabit once again. Perhaps Aldo
 Leopold pointed the way with his sand county shack. Yet he
 was only one man, and his focus was more on land than the
 nearby river. The coming age of restoration requires the
 active involvement of the citizens who live on the entire
 watershed. Most of all it requires a creative act; we must
 see not only what is, but envision what can be. It requires
 us to reach back into our history in order to grasp the
 future in which we might live.

 Restoration invites us to understand how the natural world
 -- with its complex storms, fires, forests, watersheds and
 wildlife -- functions as a whole. And the best unit to
 measure that whole, how it is more than the sum of its
 parts, is the river that runs through us. For that river
 reflects the condition of every single acre of the whole,
 integrated watershed. Thirty six centuries ago, Emperor Yu
 of China advised "To protect your rivers, protect your
 mountains." That same rule applies today. To restore our
 aquatic ecosystems, look beyond the water's edge out onto
 the land that borders it. For the two are inseparable. What
 happens on that land inevitably is reflected in our rivers.

 But even protecting mountains, we discover, goes only so
 far. I doubt that Emperor Yu, for all his wisdom, could
 foresee the construction of Three Gorges Dam or what it
 would do to the life of that river. And lest we condemn
 China too quickly, I should point out that we in America
 have been slow to recognize the ecological costs of dams.
 And slower still to envision watershed restoration through
 dam removal.

 I began to reflect on these issues over the course of many
 days and nights spent in the Grand Canyon over the last
 half century. I hiked and boated and camped beside the
 Colorado River before Glen Canyon was built in the 1960s.
 In those years it was a wild, unpredictable, brown,
 sediment-laden stream flooding into the early summer, then
 settling down in the winter. The gates of Glen Canyon were
 closed in 1963. Today, you see an ice cold, Jell-O-green
 river, manipulated up and down, rising and falling on a
 daily cycle, flushed with the regularity, and
 predictability, of a giant toilet.

 Over time, as I floated down the river, I saw trees on
 talus slopes wither and die for lack of water. I saw
 sandbars -- once covered with arrow, willow and cottonwood
 -- disappear, the banks scoured down to granite boulders. I
 saw once plentiful native fish -- unlike those anywhere on
 earth -- driven back to the brink of survival in only a few
 isolated tributaries.

 It may seem hard to comprehend now that, at the time, no
 one even considered the possibility of these dramatic
 changes in a National Park located just ten miles
 downstream. At the time Glen Canyon was built, we were
 still thinking of dams as stand alone projects that,
 lamentably, flooded out nice scenery upstream. But without
 consequences for the entire river system. And the Grand
 Canyon is only one of thousands of examples.

 Nowhere has the impact of dams been more visible than on
 aquatic life. We once believed that freshwater flowing to
 the sea was "wasted." By trying to hold it back as long as
 possible, we blocked out anadromous fisheries from their
 ancient spawning grounds. In the 19th century, from Maine
 to the Chesapeake on down to Florida, in the course of
 damming rivers, we virtually destroyed the rich Atlantic
 salmon, shad, striped bass, herring and sturgeon as they
 made their way inland from the Atlantic.

 And in this century, with our massive projects up and down
 the Pacific-bound rivers, we have repeated this process of
 destruction, virtually decimating the great salmon and
 steelhead runs of the northwest, by continuing to build
 dams clear up into the 1970s. This year, we learn that
 roughly one third of all fish, two thirds of all crayfish,
 and three quarters of the bivalve freshwater mussels in
 America are rare or threatened with extinction.

 Let's give the economists their due: We seem to value
 something only when it becomes rare. The loss of fisheries
 that we once took for granted has led to a new urgency
 demanding ways we can replenish them. Every single dam to
 which I brought my sledgehammer was removed for the benefit
 of one or more endangered aquatic species. Yet despite this
 progress there are still -- if we use established figures --
 74,993 dams in America, blocking 600,000 miles of what had
 once been free flowing rivers. That's about 17 percent of all
 rivers in the nation. If one wanted to unleash every one of
 those rivers -- something I clearly don't advocate as policy
 -- and restore those watersheds, it would take a lot more
 than one person swinging a sledgehammer every few months.

 But as we contemplate future ceremonies involving dams,
 here are some considerations:

 1. Dams are not America's answer to the pyramids of Egypt.
 We did not build them for religious purposes and they do
 not consecrate our values (even if some are named after
 Presidents). Dams do, in fact, outlive their function. When
 they do, some should go. There is a dam in Pawtucket, Rhode
 Island, spanning the Blackstone River. It powered the first
 mechanical mill in America, birthplace of our Industrial
 Revolution. Today, even as we move centuries beyond the
 water powered mills, we have chosen to preserve that dam as
 a historic marker of where we once were as a nation. As
 such, it is the exception that proves this rule.

 2. There also comes a point in the life of a dam where we
 can get the same benefits in other ways. On Butte Creek,
 the Sacramento River tributary, irrigation farmers could
 replace McPherrin Dam and three others with an irrigation
 pump and siphon. Quaker Neck Dam, which stored water for
 power generators, could be replaced with a different
 cooling system.

 3. Moreover, in some cases the price for the benefits is
 simply too high; the dam has grown too expensive relative
 to the loss of fish. On the Kennebec River, the age,
 location (close to the river's mouth), huge environmental
 costs and low generation at Edwards made it a relatively
 easy call, for removal. Owners of dams coming out on the
 Menominee found that taking a holistic approach to the
 entire watershed would save them time, money and energy.
 Some could be phased out, while others reoperated with
 screens, fish passage and drawdowns.

 But all these conditions rest on the values and the
 scientific understanding of the larger community. Who,
 besides nature, decides whether a dam stands or falls?

 One recent column made a reference to "Babbitt, the
 nation's dam-remover-in-chief" as if I were some Roman
 emperor giving thumbs up or down. The truth is I have not
 brought my sledgehammer to a single dam that was not
 approved for removal by consensus of the inhabitants of the
 watershed. Each community made a thoughtful, deliberative
 choice in how they could restore their river, whether as
 part of a downtown restoration -- as Medford, Oregon and
 Augusta, Maine -- or to open miles of spawning in rural
 areas, from North Carolina to California. Many of these
 consensus based decisions are brought about by democratic,
 voluntary watershed councils that are cropping up all over
 the country.

 Larger dams pose more complex issues, for there are more,
 and bigger, economic stakeholders. Entire industries, the
 price of electricity for millions of people, water storage
 for cities. We are rapidly reaching a consensus with
 Congress to remove the dams at Elwha and Glines Canyon. The
 debate over four dams on the Snake River will surely
 continue for years, beyond my time in this office. Yet even
 when a community decides that a dam should remain, it may
 discover progressive new ways to operate it that restore
 some of the ecological damage. That explains the public
 interest in the artificial flood that we released at Glen
 Canyon to restore Colorado River beaches downstream in the
 Grand Canyon.

 So what can you do as citizens and scientists to shape this
 restoration movement?  What you can do asecologists is
 research and examine and document the benefits that might
 be accrued by restoration of the aquatic ecosystem by
 removal or reoperation of a given dam in the watershed you
 may be involved in. We have plenty of powerful stakeholders
 willing to reassert the known, traditional benefits of dams
 -- irrigation, hydropower, urban water authorities,
 engineers. But the process of putting a value on the native
 life intrinsic to watersheds and ecosystems is something
 new, and the degree to which you can do so goes a long way.

 There is another way of expressing this: My parents
 generation gloried in the construction of dams across
 America's rivers. My generation saw how those rivers were
 changed, deformed, killed by dams. Your generation must
 help decide if, how and where those dams stand or fall.

 I am reminded of Ecclesiastes:
 One generation passeth away,
 and another generation cometh:
 but the earth abideth always....
 All the rivers runneth to the sea,
 yet the sea is not full;
 to the place where the rivers flow,
 there they flow again...

 A beautiful passage, but now haunting, for it is no longer
 true due to changes in my lifetime. I think back to my
 beloved Colorado River, which I hiked and rafted and saw
 change before my eyes. Once one of the mightiest rivers in
 America, it no longer makes it to the sea. That is a shame.
 As our generation passes, the toughest decisions rest
 firmly in your hands.
 Thank you.

 ---
 humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 years
 fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

 http://www.imaja.com/change/environment/mvarticles