dam-l LS. The Frontier Post: The myth of large dams (I)

> [...]
>        highly saline drainage waters from the irrigated lands, and due
>partly to the reduced flow of the rivers themselves. This
>        reduced flow leads to the intrusion of sea water into the estuaries
>and deltas of the rivers.
>        Indeed, in some river basins, notably in Bangladesh, sea water has
>been known to intrude up to 100 kilometres inland. Also,
>        the salt content of the lower reaches of many rivers is now so high
>that they no longer provide suitable habitats for fresh
>        water fish. With domestic waste and industrial chemicals in cities
>upstream pouring into an already reduced river flow, it may
>        led to the formation of cesspools and eventually to the complete
>eradication of marine life. The drinking water, with higher
>        concentrations of toxic and bacterial wastes, would lead to
>widespread disease and health-related problems in Sindh.
>        Design and earthquake problems should also be given consideration
>in the construction of large dams. The failure of the
>        spillways to function properly led to the near-failure of the 4009
>feet high Tarbela Dam in 1975-1976. The Manchu II Dam in
>        India overflowed during floods in 1979 and caused the death of
>1,500 people down streams. Probable earthquakes can also
>        cause great loss of life when they damage dams.
>
>        Interestingly, large reservoirs can also trigger earthquakes. This
>phenomena was scientifically agreed to at the Fourth World
>        Congress on Earthquake Engineering (Chili 1969). UNESCO also
>concluded in 1970 that the impounding of certain reservoirs is
>        responsible for triggering seismic phenomena. In the 60s, four
>earthquakes  measuring between 5.8 and 6.5 on the Richter
>        scale occurred because of large reservoir in China, Zimbabwe,
>Greece and India. Damage was subsequently caused to the dam
>        itself.
>
>        This knowledge, however, does not seem to have any influence on
>developing countries despite warnings given in advance.
>        In India, for example, seismic activity has greatly increased due
>to the construction of the Tehri Dam on the Bhagirathi River in
>        the mid Himalayas. Between 1971-1973, the yearly average was one or
>two earthquakes, in 1974, five earthquakes occurred,
>        and in 1975, there were seven. NWFP is a high risk earthquake area.
>A large earthquake struck near Peshawar in October, 1990;
>        which is near the site of proposed Kalabagh dam. The government of
>Pakistan should take all of this into account.
>        Waterlogging and salination of agricultural land is known to
>increase with intense irrigation. This has been experienced in
>        Pakistan because of the barrage phenomena. Twenty-five million of
>the 37 million acres under irrigation are estimated to be
>        salinised, waterlogged or both. Of this land, five million acres
>are classified as severely affected, 10 million as partly saline, and
>        10 million as poorly drained.
>
>        Continued

Dianne Murray,
Coordinator, Dam-Reservoir Working Group
Webmistress, Dam-Reservoir Impact and Information Archive
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/dams
vox: 1-613-520-2757  fax:1-613-520-3898	e: dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Home of Project Pisces: fish need flow!