dam-l New water report/J.Hopkins/LS

This describes a new report on the world's looming water crisis. I have
downloaded much of it from the web, there is quite a bit of information
there in excerpts. I will also send one of the sections I downloaded.

>Hopkins Report: Water Crisis Looms as World Population Grows
>
>Nearly half a billion people around the world face water shortages
>today. By 2025 the number will explode fivefold to 2.8 billion
>people--35% of the world's projected total of 8 billion
>people--according to a new report from The Johns Hopkins University
>School of Public Health.
>
>"To avoid catastrophe...it is important to act now" to reduce demand for
>water by slowing  population growth, according to the Population Reports
>issue, Solutions for a Water-Short World, published by the Johns Hopkins
>Population Information Program.  At the same time, warns the  Hopkins
>report, countries must conserve water, pollute less, and manage supply
>and demand better.
>
>TO SEE AN ADVANCE OF THE FULL REPORT GO TO:
>http://www.jhuccp.org/popreport/m14edsum.stm
>
>By 2025, according to the report, one in every three people will live in
>countries short of water. Today, thirty-one countries are facing water
>stress or water scarcity.  By 2025 population pressure will push another
>17 countries, including India, onto the list. China, with a projected
>2025 population of 1.5 billion, will not be far behind. A country faces
>water stress when annual water supplies drop below 1,700 cubic meters
>per person. Water-scarce countries have annual water supplies of less
>than 1,000 cubic meters per person.
>
>Much of the world is caught trying to meet a growing demand for
>freshwater with finite and increasingly polluted water supplies,
>according to Population Reports.   But the situation is worst in
>developing countries, where some 95% of the 80 million people added to
>the globe each year are born, and where the competition between
>industrial, urban, and agricultural use for water is mounting.
>
>"Freshwater is the liquid that lubricates development," says Don
>Hinrichsen, lead author of the report and a Consultant with the United
>Nations Population Fund.  "In many developing countries lack of water
>could cap future improvements in the quality of life.  Populations are
>growing rapidly in many of these countries, and at the same time per
>capita use must increase--to grow enough food, for better personal
>health and hygiene, and to supply growing cities and industries.
>
>"Meanwhile, there is no more freshwater on earth than there was 2,000
>years ago, when population was 3% of its current size, " says
>Hinrichsen.
>
>Even in the United States, where there is plenty of water on a national
>basis, in some areas "people are depleting groundwater reserves at a 25%
>greater rate than nature can replenish," adds Hinrichsen.
>
>Regional conflicts over water are brewing and could turn violent as
>shortages grow, warns the Hopkins report. In Africa, Central Asia, the
>Near East, and South America, some countries are already bickering over
>access to rivers and inland seas.  Even within a country competition for
> [...]

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org